Back to JobsReturn to top ↑
Emergent is seeking qualified Chinese/Mandarin Linguist
Performs full range of activities in processing material or participating in situations requiring an advanced professional capability (4 – 4+ for translation or interpretation on the ILR scale) in requisite professional disciplines. Operational experience: minimum 3 years experience.
- Can accurately translate reports/texts in electronic and hardcopy formats that contain facts and some abstract language, showing an ability to capture intended implications and nuances.
- Can generally capture geopolitical, regional, ethnic, and cultural elements in text. Word choice and expression generally adhere to target language (TL) norms and means of expression specific to subject field(s) and are strong enough to allow translator to operate successfully in that field. Interpretation:
- Able to interpret accurately. Normally consecutive interpretation only is needed, but on rare occasions some basic simultaneous interpretation may be requested
- Has good understanding of one or more regional dialects.
- Reviews audio and/or video materials, transcribes with high degree of accuracy and expression.
- Must possess excellent English-language written communication skills for preparing reports.
- Has good understanding of one or more regional dialects. Gisting/Summarizing:
- Is able to identify and accurately summarize factual points as well as abstract concepts.
- Can triage documentation to isolate pertinent and nuanced information.
- Master use of reference materials.
Must possess computer skills, including MS Office, to be able to produce written translations and products, and sufficient Internet skills that will allow basic research on the Web.
- Must possess excellent English-language verbal communication skills for giving briefings.
Security Clearance Requirements: All candidates must undergo security processing at the TS/SCI level. Linguist cannot begin work on contract without a fully adjudicated security clearance.
Education Requirements: BA/BS preferred but not required. Relevant experience may substitute:
Language Testing Requirements: All candidates will be required to take and pass a language test administered by Emergent via a government-approved commercial testing company. If the candidate passes this test, she or he will be required to take and pass the government-administered language test. If she or he does not pass the Emergent or government language test, s/he will not be eligible for this position.
- Experience deployed as a linguist supporting contingency operations
- Knowledge of U.S. Intelligence Community, military, cryptologic, and/or law enforcement experience
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing in Target Language and in English
- Linguists who are proficient in multiple languages strongly desired.
Guidelines on Residence/Travel:
- OCONUS deployments are not expected but the candidate should be prepared to travel OCONUS approximately 5 percent per year (2 weeks/year) if necessary.